Thursday, February 5, 2009

Tip of the Day

I was thinking today about the amount of stress I've faced because of my decision to study in a foreign country. A number of my friends have decided to compile tips and tricks for new foreign students back home, I suppose this is my small contribution. If you plan on studying in Tsukuba, the following tips will be very helpful. If you don't plan on coming here, then it'll enlighten you about the kinds of things I've had to face since I've been here. Either way, you walk away with more knowledge. The format for the following is this: "Japanese characters"/ "Romanji"/ "English translation." Please feel free to contribute to and correct my Japanese.

TODAY'S TIP!!!
There are several convenience stores in Tsukuba. There's 7-11, Coco's, Family Mart, and a bunch of other small convenience stores I can't remember. These are called "Konbini," in Japanese (short for convenience market/store). It's pronounced like KONE bee nee. At a konbini, the person attending the counter will ask you a series of questions, all of which are confusing if you've just come to Japan and don't know any Japanese. Fear not! I'll go through these with you.
When you make your purchase and approach the counter, if it is a small purchase, such as a bottle of water or tea, the cashier will probably ask you,
"テープはよろしいですか。"/ "Tepu wa yoroshi desuka."/ "Is tape ok?"
What the cashier is really asking is if they can just stick a piece of tape with the store's logo on it to prove that you bought it so you can walk out with it after you pay for it or if you would like it in a bag. If the tape is ok just nod or reply with, "はい。" / "Hai"/ "Yes."
If you buy a bento (lunch box), then they'll ask you if you want it warmed up. Honestly, I don't remember how they ask this right now. If you just make a regular, small purchase (a snack, for example) they'll ask you if you want a bag. They key word here is ふくろ/ fukuro/ bag. Just listen for that.
To ask for a bag you can just say, "ふくろおねがいします" or "ふくろがほしいです。" / "fukuro onegaishimasu" or "fukuro ga hoshii desu." / "I would like a bag, please."
That's all I have time for today. I have to go to my English Discussion Seminar class. It's from 3:15 to 6:00! There's a 15 minute break in the middle there, but these long classes are the hardest, I think, because I can't concentrate for that long. Later!

2 comments:

headwound said...

When I grow up I wanna be a nice delicious corpse.

J.M. English said...

Ok. Hai. [nods quickly, sharply... then smiles]