Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Not Something You See Everyday

This post might get kind of graphic. I plan on being descriptive with what I saw this evening. Unless you work as a police officer, doctor, EMT, or in another area like that you don't usually see a great deal of blood. I saw a puddle of it coagulating on the asphalt toinght.
Perkins and I were coming home from dinner. We stopped at 7/11 because I wanted some bread for my breakfast tomorrow. Then we stopped at Ofukuro Bento-San because Perkins wanted more food. While we were on our way in we noticed that traffic was being stopped and there were some police officers and medics running around the road. I didn't get a very good look then. All I saw was what looked like something that had once been a motorcycle near the center of the lanes and two cars under the bridge leading to the International Student Center. After Perkins got his bento, we decided to get a closer look.
We went a round-about way to get up to the bridge. I had to jog my bike up the big ramp behind the building. Once we were there I peeked over the edge. The first thing I noticed was all the people standing around. There were some people taking pictures with their cell phones and small cameras. There were people talking to the police, gesticulating the way in which the motorcycle had come from. Lights were flashing from the police cars. People were standing on the side of the road, some with worried faces and others with expressions that just reflected curiosity. There were several people on the bridge next to us, and a girl walked by and grabbed her boyfriend by the arm and squeaked out, "怖い." "That's scary."
When I looked over the rail at the street below I realized what she had been talking about. There was a piece of crumpled up black cloth lying in a puddle of blood. It looked like there were some other things lying the puddle, but I couldn't make out what they were. I could only guess that they used to be attached to the person who was riding the bike. It was shaped like most puddles, uneven and rounded at the edges. But it was thicker and more reflective than a gathering of rainwater. I think Perkins and I were suddenly reminded of how mortal we all are.

No comments: